Saturday, January 29, 2011

SUZI: Creating Fun

I’m not the most fun person in the world.  I’m not trying to belittle myself here, folks.  I’m just stating the facts. 

When there’s something super fun that needs to be planned, I’m not the person to call.  My favorite “get together” activity with friends is to have a small group over for dinner or go to a café for coffee/tea and chat.  Yeah.  It’s not that I don’t like having fun.  I do.  But I’m just not the “life of the party” kind of person.  I like to read and cook and sew.  I like museums.  I like to go for walks and enjoy the scenery around me.  Not a lot of side-splitting hilarity in that.  With that being said, I want to make sure that Cooper does things that are fun.  Make-you-laugh fun…that he has a list of fun family memories that he can look back upon.

On several occasions when I was young, we had what we declared “Messy Night.”  My mom made her famous spaghetti and meatballs, but utensils weren't allowed – you had to eat with your hands.  We ate outside and had a wonderful time making an amazing mess.  On one occasion, my dad got a case of cream pies from work.  We wore old clothes and had a good ol’ cream pie fight.  I’m sure the neighbors thought we were nuts – I’m sure I didn’t care!  There was a lot of squealing and hilarity that went on that day.  We literally had to hose off before we could even go into the house.  Fun memories!

I know some fun things are planned and some just happen in the spur of the moment.  I want to do my best to give Cooper both!  I want to plan ahead and create special moments, but to also take advantage of whatever unplanned exciting moments come along.  For now, we’re making silly faces in mirrors and tickling and laughing as much as we can.  And if Cooper’s lucky, he’s got some of those fun, larger-than-life genes flowing in some of that Texas blood he’s got in his veins!

No comments: