Monday, May 24, 2010

Suzi: Yes. I did.

This year I will be married 13 years.  It’s so cliché but he’s my best friend and can still make my heart flutter.  It doesn’t even seem possible that we’ve had 18 years together (5 dating before marriage)!
In those 18 years, we’ve had the opportunity to do some amazing things:  We’ve lived in small towns and big cities, both domestically and abroad; owned and sold a house; graduated from college; had careers; worked in various churches; hosted parties with dear friends; camped and hiked; and much, much more.  A lot has been packed into our time together.  Our lives were full before; now, even more so.  Cooper adds a most wonderful chapter in our story.
Now that the little guy is here, I really am enjoying being a mom.  (Can you tell by the fact that I can’t seem to write about anything else?)  In contemplating all this mommyhood stuff, I am remembering the things that I promised myself I would never do if I became a mom.  Ever.
You know how little kids get stuff on their faces?  What does a mom do to get it off?  She licks her finger and wipes it off, right?  To me, that has always been disgusting.  For all of these years I have told myself that I would never do that.  It’s just plain gross.
Fast-forward to Day Six of Cooper’s life.  We’re going to the embassy to file Cooper’s passport paperwork.  We step out of the car, and I realize that he’s got crusty, dried milk on his face.  Clearly we can’t meet our country's official representatives with our child looking like this.  So what do I do?
I LICK MY FINGER AND WIPE IT OFF.  
I wish I could say that was the first and only time I’ve done that.  I wish.  Just like that I have crossed the line and gone past the point of no return…I have become That Mom!

No comments: