Wednesday, April 18, 2012

SUZI: Frosty Banana Milk

Last year, Cooper and I had a special summer treat we made every day.  And by “every day” I don’t mean it in that general way when people say it but they really just mean “often.”  I mean every day.  It’s really simple, and we love it.  We named it the Frosty Banana Milk.  If I say those words, Cooper will immediately go to the kitchen and point to the blender.  Understand that I’m serious when I say that we did this every day.

The recipe is super simple:

1 to 1 ½ Bananas
About a cup of Milk
Lots of Cinnamon
Ice

Blend the banana, milk and cinnamon and then add the ice and blend again.  It makes a really subtly flavored, icy treat.  We experimented some and added a peach or an apple (I cut it up but left the peel on) which was also pretty good.  We sometimes added a little bit of honey if the bananas were really brown.  Later in the summer we started adding flax seed.  

Then we started adding spinach.  Yes, spinach.  Although it does change the color (OK, it looks like bog sludge), it doesn’t change the taste.  It’s an easy way to add a little more nutrition.  Cooper doesn’t like a lot of fruit – I think it is a texture thing, so the smoothie was a great way for him to get some fruit and some milk (which he also boycotted for awhile).  It’s also a good way to use up some ripe bananas (if you throw them in the freezer the day before you make the smoothie, you don’t even have to add the ice).

Once we moved into fall & winter, we added nutmeg.  I know, I know.  We're just all crazy 'round here with the Frosty Banana Milk.

Do you have a favorite smoothie?

Happy Blending!

No comments: