Friday, June 4, 2010

SUZI: Cooper's Got a New Drug

I’m not normally one to endorse products and sing the praises of some company.  What works for me may not work for you, so I’m not going to foist my preferences on you.  I’m not sporting any logos on a shirt or plastering an advertisement on the side of my car.  However, with that being said, I simply have to write about something that has made Cooper’s life (and thereby ours) immeasurable better.
Poor little Cooper has had tummy problems from day one.  Who knew gas could be such a big deal?  It has gradually gotten worse over the weeks, until this past week Cooper spent more time during the day screaming and crying than he did being his normal happy self.  We’re talking beet-red faced, back arched, can barely catch your breath sort of crying.  I have tried everything – avoiding all the recommended foods (broccoli, cabbage, onions, citrus fruits); massaging his stomach and pedaling his legs; keeping him upright for at least 15 minutes after he eats; stuffing him full of gas drops; (organic or otherwise) and just about anything else I can think of.  After a full day of crying that could break the heart of even the most cold and calloused, I made a doctor’s appointment to see if there was anything else we could do.
The doctor ponked on his stomach and announced, “He’s got tummy problems.  It’s tight as a balloon.”  At least we were in agreement on that.  He gave us a recommendation for BioGaia probiotic drops, and immediately I was a bit skeptical.  The drops are supposed to help build up good bacteria in the intestines, and this helps settle the gas and pain issues.  I seriously doubted that this solution would help that much, but I was willing to try anything.  It was going to take a few days to kick in though.  Days 1, 2, 3 & 4 passed and we didn’t see too much improvement.  Even though the doctor told us it could take up to a week, I felt like my doubts were being confirmed.  Then day 5 came…and the sky opened up, angels sang, and rainbows filled the room.  I walked into Cooper’s room that morning to find him in his crib…awake…and smiling at me.  The happiness continued all morning long, all afternoon long, all evening long.  Scott announced that this was Cooper’s best day of his life.  Surely this was a fluke, right?  I’ve waited a few days to write anything just to see if the improvement sticks.  It has.
We feel like we have a brand new baby.  His problems haven’t completely disappeared, but the improvement is so great that I’m writing about it.  It’s like night and day.  Know a gassy baby?  These are definitely worth a shot.

No comments: